What is the one component that can help 3rd world nations climb out of the vicious circle of poverty? Education. Educate the children (especially the girls) and you will change a generation. I truly beleive this. This give is not only from me but my friends I mobilized in Vancouver to help start a library in Africa.
Day 295: Give 295
A number of weeks ago I received a requested from an organization called African Library Project. Their mission is simple. Get books to a country that needs them desperately to help educate the children. Africa is a country that needs so much but education is a long term solution that can help change an entire country. Here are a few facts taken directly from the African Library Project that will remind us how we can give to people in our world that so desperately need our help.
- Most African children grow up without books, while U.S. & Canadian bookshelves and landfills overflow with books no longer read.
- Africa has the highest percentage of illiteracy in the world.
- Books are the key to increasing literacy, and literacy is the #1 tool out of poverty.
- Many African teachers teach reading, writing, math and English without even a single book to use as a resource.
- Many adult Africans lose their ability to read due to a lack of reading materials.
- The UN has decreed 2003-2012 the United Nations Literacy Decade to underscore the importance of literacy and basic education as major tools in building a cohesive and peaceful society for the 21st century.