For those of you that don’t know yet Father’s Day is just around the corner. This Sunday! My husband always likes to play golf on Father’s Day like many other Fathers do but I like to do something that not only gives to him but gives to someone else. I believe in ethical giving. If we found more ways to give with meaning through our purchases the world would be a pretty great place. On twitter today a good Twitter friend @BeCharitable sent me a great post about ethical shopping for Father’s Day. It was just what I needed to purchase the perfect Father’s Day gift that will keep on giving.
Day 259: Give 259
If you haven’t come across Shop With Meaning you need to take a look and book mark the site. You will never be out of ideas on ways to shop ethically. Every day they feature an organization that generates a donation with every purchase. You shop the organization donates. Good deal! We all shop so why not make each purchase count. They recently featured a One for One Father’s Day gift guide. Each organization featured gives one product to charity when you buy one. Basically it’s a two for one deal with one item going to exactly the person or people that need it most.
The choices are great and at least one will suit the Dad in your life perfectly. Here are just a few of their great ideas but go to Shop with Meaning for the entire list.
1) Fig Ties: You can go the tradition route and get him a tie that really gives back. With each purchase Fig Ties in turn provides a school uniform to a child in Africa.
2) Tom’s Shoes: One of my favourites. Buy a pair of shoes and Tom’s donates a pair to a child that doesn’t have one in developing countries.
3) 4Sight Sunglasses: For the hip Dad get him a new pair of shades and 4Sight Sunglasses will donate a pair of corrective eye glasses to a person in need.
4) BOGO Light: Have you got a camping Dad? Than this one is for you. Have you ever imagined what it would be like to have no power in your house every day. When it gets dark you have no light. BOGO makes solar powered flashlights that just keep giving. You buy one for Dad and they donate one to a person in a developing country.
5) One World Futbol: This is the gift I am getting for my husband. My son and husband love to play soccer together. We are blessed to live in a country with big open soccer fields we can play in any day of the week. With a little help from Sting this project is not only supplying balls to children but creating peace.
“The Futbol, named after Sting’s song “One World (Not Three),” required eleven months of prototyping and field testing in Africa, Haiti, Iraq, and elsewhere. Months more of relationship-building and legal work followed, establishing a mission-driven business called the One World Futbol Project. Just five months after its public launch, theOne World Futbol had already been introduced in 59 countries around the world through nearly 100 organizations using sport to resolve conflicts, teach tolerance, and build community.”
Take some time to think about what you really want your gift to the Dad in your life to mean. One purchase can change the world. Will you change the world this Father’s Day?
Leave 365give a comment about the gift you got for the Father in your life that gives back.
Time Commitment: 5 minutes to purchase
Cost: $40 for two balls one for my husband and one for a child in need